Last Updated: February 28, 2022 by Simon Heth
When you are replacing the blade on your angle grinder, you need to first remove the fan from the head. You can do this simply by lifting on the metal cover that is located at the front of the grinder and then pulling it off.
The next step is to raise and remove the plastic collar that is located on top of the fan housing. Push and pull this metal cover to release it from its seat, then lift it up and out with pliers.
Do you know how to change the blade on the angle grinder? This article will tell you the steps and tools required for changing blades on an angle grinder.
Tools use to Change Blade
Tools used to change blades on angle grinders are important to work with efficiency and safety. In the process of changing blades, it is very important to use the right size of the blade, the right kind of tool, handle and also control the speed of the grinder.
It is also important to make sure that gears are in good condition and they are not worn out due to overworking. The various tools and accessories used for blade changing on angle grinder are:
This is a tool that helps in holding the blade securely. It can be made from different materials like metal, plastic, or rubber.
This ring is attached to the gearbox of the grinder and it helps in holding the blade against Nut while grinding.
The blades are what make the angle grinder work. They are made from different materials like steel, aluminum, or titanium and they can be either fixed or removable.
The handle is what allows the user to control the speed of grinding and also apply pressure while grinding. It is made from a variety of materials like plastic, wood, or rubber.
Size of the Blade
When changing the blades on an angle grinder, it is important to use the right size of the blade. There are different sizes of blades available in the market and it is important to know which one will befit your particular machine.
The most common sizes of blades that are used for grinding are 1/4″, 5/16″, and 3/8″. It is also advisable to check if the grinder has a detachable blade system or not. When the system is attached, you will have to insert the blade into a keyway and that usually affects greatly performance since changing blades become riskier.
The process to Change Blade
Changing the blade on your angle grinder is not an easy task. You need to follow a series of steps to ensure that you don’t break the blade. Follow these steps carefully to get rid of this problem and get back to work as soon as possible.
- Brush the debris off of your blades. The grinder isn’t designed with an area to catch the work, so you will need a brush.
- Use compressed air on any exposed grinding pits and on any connecting parts that may have become loose during use.
- With the grinder running, spray a fine mist of machine oil into all moving parts.
- Keep spraying until liquid appears flowing out at a moderate rate and stops dripping onto the workpiece.
- Using an angle grinder with this type of lubrication will help to reduce wear on critical component surfaces.
- Carefully remove the protective cap from your wrench or cam screwdriver if you have one and unscrew the fastener that holds the blade on.
- If you do not have a wrench or cam screwdriver, use a pair of pliers to carefully twist off the fasteners holding either end of your blade in place.
- Be sure to hold onto both ends while unscrewing them so that they will not fall off and hit your workpiece.
- Remove the old blade by gently pulling it out from its joint with the motor housing. Make sure to remove both blades at the same time.
- If you are removing a full fan lying flush against the motor housing, make sure to remove this before reaching inside and exposing part of your blade joint again.
- Remove the old grit screen by unscrewing it from its hinge using channel-lock pliers; pull them apart slowly so that they do not snag between themselves in their hinges.
- The proper way to remove them is with a screwdriver.
- If you do not have channel-lock pliers, use one of the nuts that secure these side panels and unscrew it with your hand.
Blades used in angle grinders can get dull and worn out easily. This, in turn, leads to the grinding wheels coming off or breaking, resulting in a build-up of debris in the grinding chamber. To prevent this from happening, one needs to take precautions and follow certain steps before the grinding process starts.
These precautions will prevent the angle grinder from grinding to only a certain depth, thereby compressing the metal.
- First, wear goggles and a dust mask when grinding.
- Second, make sure that the angle grinder is turned off before cleaning it.
- Third, remove any old worn blades and replace them with new ones when necessary.
- Fourth, clean the grinder regularly by removing all the debris that accumulates in it.
- Fifth, make sure to lubricate the blade frequently.
- Sixth, oil the nut on top of the grinder and make it tighter. Lastly, lubricate your hands often while working with an angle grinder as well.
It is important before using any hand tool to clean and clear away all dust particles in it so that there is no unnecessary debris inside.
How to change the blade on an angle grinder is a very simple job that everyone can do. This is a very simple process that you can use to replace the blade on your angle grinder. You can save yourself some money by doing this work yourself, and it’s a good opportunity to practice using your tool.
The second benefit of this project is that it helps you to learn about safety around your power tool.
Kindly leave your feedback after reading this article. Thank you!