Last Updated: June 30, 2022 by Simon Heth
Planning to give a face-lift to your grandpa’s vintage car? If really so, then start it today!
You have the master of all power tools in your shed that is Angle grinder.
Wondering how angle grinder will do so? It will remove old paint and leaves a crude and clean surface that is ready for the primer. And if in case, there is rust in different parts of the car, then Angle grinder is there to help you out!
All you have to do is to select and install a suitable abrasive wheel for this purpose.
For removing paint, rust, and oxidations from metal we have grinding discs that convert your angle grinder into any paint removing tool. Grinding discs also known as stripping discs will strip off the old paint from any metal. Besides this, it will even out the uneven surface, removes weld slag, and prepare the material by cleaning for further operation.
You know what rust paint removal discs are widely used in automobile shops, for giving new look to old cars.
Best Angle Grinder Discs for Paint Removal 2022
Trust me; there are more than thousands of brands of grinding wheel in the market but not all are trustworthy. We would advise you to buy a high-quality and durable grinding disc that is not only worn resistant but also have a longer service life.
- Sportuli – Best Angle Grinder Disc for Paint Removal (Best Overall)
- Ximimark – Best Grinding Disc for Rust Removal (Budgeted)
- LAIWOO – Poly Rust Paint Removal Disc (Best Performance)
- Stadea – Paint Removal Discs (Weld Stripper Remover)
- Lamsion– Best Grinding Discs for Paint Removal (Strip Disc)
- 3M Stripe Off Wheel – High-speed Adhesive Remover
We have selected a few best angle grinder discs for paint removal and reviewed them.
Let’s jump onto the main topic.
1. Sportuli – Best Angle Grinder Disc for Paint Removal 2021
Professional metal fabricators always look for such set of tool that works on a variety of surfaces. Sportuli abrasive wheel grinder disc is one such example. It’s is one of the best angle grinder discs that are not only for paint removal but also for removing rust from a variety of surfaces.
Sportuli abrasive wheel grinder disc is made up of nylon cord which is coated with polyurethane. This deadly combination makes it one of the versatile and flexible discs. You have the freedom to use it on metal, stone, wood, and many others.
It’s like one for all.
The worth mentioning part about the Sportuli abrasive wheel disc is, it doesn’t damage the base material no matter how aggressively you use it.
So if you want to remove paint from an old garage door or remove rust from old sanitary. Sportuli will serve you better. It can even be used for cleaning and shining the base surface.
The abrasive wheel is compatible with all 4 inches of angle grinder as its outer diameter is 4 inches and inner arbor hole is about 0.63 inches.
- Versatile: can be used to treat numerous base material for removing rust and paint/
- Performance: high performance and rotates with the speed of1000RPM.
- Dimensions: outer diameter: 4 inch, inner diameter: 0.63 inches, thickness: 12mm
- The package includes 5 pieces of Sportuli abrasive wheel disc.
2. Ximimark – Best Grinding Disc for Rust Removal
Sometimes removing tough rust becomes a challenge especially when it’s on cast iron. Cast iron is a soft metal that may hurt if used grinding wheel too aggressively. In such a case, Ximimark introduces a rust paint removal disc that is infused with silicon carbide. Silicon carbide has sharp abrasive grain and is best suited for soft metals such as cast iron and aluminum.
These grinding discs are made up of nylon cord with a thick coating of polyurethane on it. It has an open mesh design that does not clog with the rust or paint while removing. In addition to this for its durability and long service life, the meshed nylon is further coated with resins.
Ximimark grinding discs promise to strip off all the rust and paint stains and make your base material shine like a new one.
Besides this, these discs are available in three colors that are black, blue, and purple. These colors are not for aesthetic purposes rather for the identification of coarseness level. Blue is the coarse one whereas the black one is fine.
Ximimark rust paint removal disc is compatible with a small angle grinder of 4 inches since the outer diameter of the disc is around 4 inches.
- Durable: resin is coated on nylon to increase the life of the disc.
- Design: open mesh design that does not let any dirt or rust/paint to sit inside the mesh.
- RPM: rotates with the speed of 10000 RPM and works well on all surfaces like metal, wood
- Dimension: outer diameter: 100mm or 4 inches, inner diameter 5/8 inches. Thickness: 16mm.
3. LAIWOO – Poly Rust Paint Removal Disc
Featuring a black diamond cup wheel material which is a high strength and high-wearing tool. LAIWOO poly rust paint removal discs have wear-resistant fiber mesh which is used as substrate. Besides this, it has a combination of resin elastomer and crystalline form of aluminum oxide which is called Corundum. These resin elastomers are firmly attached to the abrasive disc and that’s the reason it is one of the durable paint removal discs on my list.
Also, it does not harm or damage the base material no matter how aggressively you operate it. LAIWOO strip disc delivers uniform grinding force with no wear and tear. Also, the body of the disc is water resistance
LAIWOO strip disc is ideal for those professionals who need a single tool for all their grinding and removing jobs. One can use it for removing different compounds, even for ceramic bottom polishing.
One can confidently say that the LAIWOO strip disc is the best grinding disc for rust removal. It is compatible with all 4 inches of angle grinder and it’s available In two sizes of arbor hole that is 5/8″ and 7/8″.
- Excellent performance: With black silicon carbide grain it quickly removes paint and rust without any damage.
- Wear-resistant: the abrasive sand will not fall off as the resin elastomer has firmly attached to the fiber mesh.
- Ideal for: polishing and processing of complex surfaces
- Dimensions: outer diameter: 4 inches. Kerf: 3/5″ RPM:12500, grain size: black silicon carbide 46#.
4. Stadea – Angle Grinder Disc for Paint Removal
When it comes to paint removal discs, Stadea never disappoints its customer.
Stadea strip disc comprises of non-woven nylon pad, with less mesh opening. This way it is highly effective for clog-resistant grinding and removing job.
It offers faster grinding as compare to other stripping discs and has longer life.
Stadea strip disc is efficient enough to work on a variety of surfaces such as metal, wood, fiberglass.
The most amazing part here is, Stadea stripping discs are the welders’ most favorite abrasive disc as it quickly and instantly prepares, clean, and remove the dirt and debris from the material that has to be welded.
It comes in a pack of 5 discs which you can use for many different jobs. The discs are 4.5 inches in diameter hence, compatible with any 4.5 inches of angle grinder.
Some people complain that one or two discs out of 5, shakes and vibrates, which is quite disturbing for the users. We hope that in the future Stadea will definitely resolve this issue.
- Clog-resistant: the non-woven nylon pads resist any clog to be settled in between the mesh.
- Perfect for: removing paint, rust, scaling, oxidation. Also for welding cleaning.
- Durable and long-lasting: offers faster grinding service with durable and long-lasting life.
- Dimensions: outer diameter: 4.5”, inner diameter: 7/8″.
5. Lamsion– Best Angle Grinder Disc for Paint Removal
These roloc strip discs are small in size though, but they give high performance. They quickly remove paint from the car’s body and get it ready for primer application.
Besides giving an outstanding performance, Lamsion strip discs are also wear-resistant and durable. It uses fiber mesh and resin elastomer which is firmly adhered to the fiber mesh. This way you won’t experience any falling abrasive sand while using it. It does not damage the surface rather it produces uniform grinding force and smoothly cleans out all the paint, rust, and oxidation.
When it comes to the uses of Lamsion roloc strip disc, these small beasts can be used for various purposes. They can be used to treat various metal and nonmetal surfaces. Also, they are meant for polishing and removing paint from the deep holes.
The discs are 2” in diameter, hence suitable for various shapes to be peeled off by the grinding body. As they are small in size they produce less noise and dust.
It comes with a 2.5” roloc holder that serves as a bridge to connect the roloc strip disc to an angle grinder of any size. You will get 10 roloc strip discs in a single pack.
- Wear-resistant: produces less abrasive sand and has a constant diameter
- Compatible with: all angle grinders and electric drill
- Highly used: automobile and metal fabrication industries
- Dimensions: diameter: 2”, thickness: 0.6”, installation method: outer wire, inner wire
6. 3M Stripe Off Wheel – High-speed Adhesive Remover
We have all heard of glow-ups and cosmetic surgeries for celebrities, and we have all probably wanted one for ourselves at some point. We may not be able to get expensive surgeries for ourselves, but our cars can get a glow-up by using the tools we are going to mention next. The rusty and worn-out paint from that car in your garage is removed using an angle grinder disc, and then the vehicle can then be painted over in your favorite shiny and slick colors. This best angle grinder disc leaves the surface of your car smooth and polished so that it looks as good as new once you cover it in paint. Dozens of brands are available in the market selling various angle grinder disks. Still, we have brought you just the suitable product description you need to decide if this product fits your personal needs or not.
The item bears the name of the established brand Cubitron. The tool has a diameter of 4 inches and dimensions of 5.5 x 4 x 1 inch (L x W x H). The instrument is of medium grit type and has a thickness of 0.63 inches.
We have summarized the main features of this product here for your convenience:
- This product is very versatile and can also be used for removing vinyl, tape, and graphics
- It is compatible with most drills and rotary tools and can be used at a maximum of 4,000 rpm
- It can be used for small areas as 4” diameter and 5/8” thickness is ideally suited for small, hard-to-remove detailing
- It is durable for a long life because the solid molded wheel is designed for durability to provide a long service life
- It is speedy and is designed for high-speed removal to help save you time
- It has an easy tool attachment which includes a 3/8-16 threaded mandrel for easy attachment to your tool.
Can I use an angle grinder to remove paint?
The angle grinder has got various uses. Besides cutting, grinding, and sanding job, angle grinders can also be used for removing paint. Not only this, for removing stubborn rust from any metal, use an angle grinder. You will be amazed by the results.
What is the fastest way to remove paint from metal?
There are three methods for quickly removing the paint. One is with the use of commercial chemicals like Klean-Strip. Seconds is by using a grinding disc on an angle grinder you can quickly strip off all the paint from the base material. For this, you need to have a proper grinding disc whose diameter matches perfectly with the size of the grinder. Third is by using some common household tips like if the metal is small, dip it in boiling water, all the paint will be removed quickly. Or you can apply a paste of baking soda and vinegar on the culprit metal.
How do you remove paint from a grinder?
Well, this is a bit tricky situation. Since an angle grinder is a highly useful tool so it would be a bad idea to apply any household trick on it. So the best idea is, use any commercially available paint stripper for removing paint from the angle grinder. And next time, stay away from your angle grinder from any paint site.
How do you grind the paint off concrete?
If you want to remove paint from concrete, then the best option is to use an angle grinder with a stripping disc. Just as the grinder cleans the paint and rust from metal, it will do so on concrete as well. The other option is to use a commercially available paint stripper. But I would recommend using an angle grinder to remove paint stains on concrete.
Do I need to remove paint from concrete before repainting?
To have a perfectly finished and smooth pain on concrete, it is best to prep the concrete before repainting. It will include removing paint, smooth and sand rough edges, and removes all the dirt and dust from the concrete.
To conclude, grinding wheels are your perfect companion if you want to get rid of paint/rust from an old piece of metal. For every size of the angle grinder, there is a different stripping disc, so make sure to choose the size with respect to the size of your angle grinder. Paint removing is not a dangerous job but when you are using any power tool it’s better to wear Personal protective equipment to avoid any pathetic incident.
My name is Simon Heth and I am a father of two kids. A full-time grinding professional who can perform multiple tasks at once, whether it is cutting, carving, polishing, grinding, deburring, and finishing. Read More about me…