Last Updated: February 24, 2023 by Amer
This article will reveal some best angle grinder wheels for cutting metal but before going into detail we have some useful information about metal cutting discs for angle grinder.
Metal cutting wheel for angle grinder has some particular specifications. Like, the thickness of the kerf of the cutting disc should be not more than 0.045 inches or 1/8”. The thinner the kerf is, the less material is removed or cut. Another advantage of choosing thin kerf is, the disc requires less horsepower to drive.
Best Angle Grinder Wheel for Cutting Metal 2023
So the best metal cutting blades for angle grinder are the thinnest than the other abrasive disc.
Here at angle grinder guide.com, we have focused on the thinnest metal cutting wheels that not only offer good cut rates but also cut fast and with precision.
- DEWALT – Best Angle Grinder Wheel for Cutting Metal 2023 (Best Overall)
- LENOX – Metal Cutting Blade for 4 Inch Grinder (Diamond Edge)
- Makita – Best Angle Grinder Disc for Metal (for Metal & Steel Cutting)
- GRAFF – Angle Grinder Cutting Wheel (Longer Life)
- Benchmark – Best Metal Cutting Blade for Angle Grinder (Pack of 50)
Let’s review them one by one!
1. DEWALT – Best Angle Grinder Wheel for Cutting Metal 2023
DeWalt says that its cutting wheels are one of the durable cutting wheels and it won’t shatter. Though they are quite thin in terms of thickness that is 0.045inch but with the addition of 2 full sheets of fiberglass, their safety and durability have been enhanced.
Metal fabricators always look for such cut-off wheel that delivers a good cut rate with excellent durability. Luckily, the DeWalt cutting wheel serves the same purpose. The grain is the basic culprit that determines the cut rate of any cutting disc. DeWalt cutting disc has aluminum oxide grain with a softer bond that ensures smooth and burr-free cutting. Besides this, it features a proprietary material mix that guarantees long wheel life.
And you know what you can fearlessly cut stainless with DeWalt cut-off wheel because it does not contain iron. So for metal fabricators, DeWalt cut–off wheel is a great choice.
Related: Best 4.5 Angle Grinder Reviews
- Durable: the cut-off disc is covered with two full sheets of fiberglass
- Grain: aluminum oxide grain that is ideal for aggressive cutting action
- Thickness: 0.045 inches with max rpm of 13300
- Dimensions: outer diameter: 4.5 inches, inner arbor hole: 7/8”
- Best suited: for high-performance cutting
2. LENOX – Metal Cutting Blade for 4 Inch Grinder
Lenox MetalMax is a diamond disc that is suitable for cutting metals. Since there have been lots of injuries reported due to the shattering of abrasive disc, that’s why Lenox has focused on developing something safe and purposeful for its customers.
Lenox MetalMax has a solid steel body that greatly reduces the risk of breakage. Apart from this, it delivers a good cut-rate.
Lenox claims that with its MetalMax cutting blade you can do more than 1000 cuts without changing the wheel.
MetalMax is comparatively durable and long-lasting than the other cut-off wheels and it’s all because of its advanced diamond technology that increases the life of the disc up to 30 times.
The best thing about Lenox MetalMax is that it produces less odor and less dust. The reason is, it does not wear away like the other cut-off wheels on my list. In other words, it will keep your workstation almost free of dust and dirt.
Lenox metal cutting blade is best suited for a 4 inch angle grinder for doing small and quick cutting jobs.
Related: Best 6 Inch Angle Grinder Reviews
- Wear resistance: the MetalMax does not wear down as it has a solid steel body.
- Long-lasting: with diamond technology, it offers excellent durability as compare to bonded abrasive disc
- Dimensions: inner diameter: 5/8” outer diameter: 4inch
- Recommended for: structural steel metal, Sheet metal, Stainless steel, Aluminum, Cast iron, Nonferrous metal.
3. Makita – Best Angle Grinder Disc for Metal
These are the type 1 cutting wheel that is flat and thin. According to Smithandarrow, type 1 cutting wheels offer more versatility while dealing with profiles and cutting corners.
Makita angle grinder cutting wheel offers 3 times more cut-rate as compare to any other low-quality cutting blade.
It is made up of high-quality material with aluminum oxide grain. The grain is a hard bond using a proprietary strong synthetic resinoid bond matrix that strongly holds the aluminum oxide with phenol resin. This way, you will experience less wear of disc and cutting with precision.
So if you want a fast and precise cut, then the Makita metal cutting wheel is the best option. It is a 4.5-inch cutting wheel that is compatible with all 4.5-inch angle grinders.
Related: Best Variable Speed Angle Grinder
- Fast and precise cutting: the advanced grain bonding technology promises to cut fast and with precision.
- High quality: made up of durable material that cuts 3 times more than the other cutting blades.
- Compatible with: 4.5-inch angle grinder
- Dimension: outer diameter: 4.5 inch, inner diameter:7/8 inch, thickness: 0.045 inch.
- Ideal for: steel and stainless steel and other metal.
4. GRAFF – Angle Grinder Cutting Wheel
It is made up of high-strength steel that reduces the chances of disc rupture while operating at high speed.
Let me tell you Graff black angle grinder cutting wheel is designed for professionals. It can offer more than 3000 cuts without changing the disc. This increased lifetime is achieved by the high-temperature plasma soldering and diamond grit in the cutting segment.
Besides this, the Graff cutting wheel is very comfortable to use. Unlike other abrasive wheels, it doesn’t produce dust, smell, and fewer sparks. Not only this, you won’t experiences any over-heating while using it for cutting metal.
Apart from this, it has a constant wheel diameter which remains the same throughout its life. It won’t get smaller or slow down with time.
Unlike the other abrasive wheel, Graff black diamond cut-off wheel is burst-proof, which means it won’t get burst or shatter as the other disc do.
As far as the kerf is concerned, they are 1.5mm thin which means they are the perfect wheel for cutting stainless steel with precision.
Graff black is an excellent cut–off wheel for metal fabricators. It is best suited for dry cutting of metal, rebar, iron, aluminum, and different types of pipes.
Related: Best 7 inch Angle Grinder Reviews
- Constant diameter: made up of wear resistance material that keeps the diameter of the wheel the same throughout its life.
- Durable: it has got 60 times longer wheel life than the other
- RPM: operates at the RPM of 13200
- Certified: yes, the Graff cutting wheel is certified by MPA Hannover.
- Dimensions: outer diameter: 4.5 inches, kerf: 1.5mm
5. Benchmark – Best Metal Cutting Blade for Angle Grinder
The kerf is about 0.040” thin which makes it quite thin. It is a type 1 cutting disc that is flat and versatile to be used. This ultra-thin design of the Benchmark cutting blade helps in maintaining balance while cutting metals so that the user can cut with high precision and less effort.
The benchmark cut-off wheel has the premium quality of aluminum oxide grains that are self-sharpening and provides abrasive cuts. This in turn helps in quick cutting and maintaining excellent durability.
For the added safety and durability of the disc, it is fully reinforced with the bonded sheet of fiberglass backing, which protects the disc from shattering.
Related: Best Angle Grinder for Tile Cutting
Benchmark metal cutting blade is ideally used for general purpose steel cutting which includes carbon steel and aluminum. Moreover, it’s an INOX-grade cutting blade, which means there isn’t any iron contamination in the abrasive wheel disc. Therefore, it lasts long and gives perfect and precise cutting with less force.
Benchmark is one of the best angle grinder discs for metal if you want to have a durable and long-lasting wheel while staying on budget. You will get a pack of 50 cut-off wheels which you can use for cutting cast iron, steel, and other metal:
Related: Wood Carving Discs for Angle Grinder
- Burr-free cutting. Benchmark gives burr-free cutting.
- Kerf: one of the thinnest cutting blade that is 0.040”
- RPM: works perfectly on RPM of 13000
- Dimensions: inner diameter:7/8” outer diameter:4.5 inch
- Type of disc: thin abrasive type 1 cut-off wheel.
6. SHARK WELDING – Best Angle Grinder Disc for Metal
Shark welding is a brand none like others. It has made a big name in the market by providing its customers with one of the best products out there, which are economical and best for getting the job done. These are 3-inch flat, thin, and Type 1 wheels which are most versatile and suitable for cutting corners.
The grit material is made up of Aluminum oxide, known to be one of the best materials for discs. These abrasive cut-off wheels are double-reinforced with fiberglass, which provides durability and longevity to the product.
Shark’s high abrasive wheels are made for aggressive high-speed Cutting, which can spin up to 25,000 revolutions per minute. Due to the high speed, it is always advised to use it with a guard that is compatible with the size of the wheel—Including Mandrel, which is perfect for cutting carbon steel, cast iron, and general-purpose metal. So, if you want an economical and worth your money high-quality cutting wheel that can also give you professional-level results, then this 3-inch shark cutting wheel is the best choice from the products to get your job done.
Its outstanding feature of double-reinforcement of fiberglass gives you an increased life span compared to those locally manufactured off-shore wheels. It also guarantees you greater tensile strength.
- Dimensions: 3 x 3 x 0.03 inches and weighs almost four ounces (LxWxH)
- High-speed Cutting perfect for precision and aggressive cutting corners
- The cutting diameter is 3 inches
- Power source: Air-powered and is compatible with Die Grinder and cut-off tools.
- Ideal for cutting steel and general-purpose material
- Made up of Aluminum oxide prevents fast wear and tear
- Reinforced with fiberglass provides more longevity and is more durable.
7. Neiko 11146a Premium Zirconia Aluminum – One Of The Best Flap Discs In The Industry
Neiko has been in the physical market for about two decades now and has been committed to providing premium quality hand tools at a fraction of the cost. It has proved its worth as a bigger brand. Neiko’s 11146A premium zirconia flap disc is one of the best cutting wheels for finishing works. It is constructed from industrial-grade premium zirconium alumina.
It is the crystallized result of Aluminum oxide and zirconium dioxide. Zirconia is more firm, can endure an astonishing amount of heavy loads and lasts longer than other materials used in flap discs. It self- sharpens at every use and performs best at high pressure.
Neiko’s flap disc is remarkable in its tensile strength like none other but is also very durable and has a long life span. It has an extended disc life. This 120 grit and type 27 flat disc are best for blending smoothing and matte surface finishing like wood.
The Resin fiber used in manufacturing prevents smearing and erosion of the disc. Not only this, but it is also back plated with fiberglass, which absorbs vibrations. The maximum speed at which the flap disc can run is 12,300 revolutions per minute. So if you are looking for a cost-effective flap disc out there, you should not waste your time and head towards Neiko’s only flap discs.
- Grit material zirconia alumina is one of the best materials for flap discs
- Durable and long life span promises longevity of the hand tool
- Outstanding tensile strength and self-sharpening is a unique feature
- Type 27 flat disc and 120 grit flap disc ideal for finishing works
- Fiberglass reinforcement absorbs vibrations being less noisy
- 1,62 pounds weight and 13,300 rpm.
- Less vulnerable to smearing and wearing down at high pressures due to resin fiber used.
8. Milwaukee – Best Aggressive Grinding Wheel For Angle Grinders
Milwaukee is a brand that hardly needs an introduction in the hand tools industry. At Milwaukee, they are specialized in revolutionizing high-performance tools. They are relentlessly delivering a constant flow of innovative solutions that makes the products more productive and safer. Milwaukee’s 4.5-inch Grinder wheel is optimized and is compatible with all 4.5-inch angle grinders with a 5/8″ arbor.
The disc’s material is unique as it is specialized for aggressive grinding. It is made up of high-performance white brown fused aluminum bound with phenol resin bond allows them to consistently grind all steel and metallic materials such as welds, carbon steel, iron pipes, and stainless steel. The finest grain ware is ideal for aggressive grinding and high performance and enables balance in the tool.
This results in a grinding wheel that grinds longer and faster than others of the same range. The thickness of the wheel is 0.25 inches, which provides a balanced grind with precision, less power demand, and less heat buildup. So if you are looking for an aggressive grinder, this product is the best for this job due to the coarse 24 grit grains and grit size.
- One of the best materials for stainless steel and metal grinding brown fused aluminum is used.
- Dimensions: 4.5 x 0.25 x 4.5 inches(LxWxH)
- Coarse 24 grit grains are designed for hard steel and welding applications
- Aggressive grinding with high precision is allowed by the optimal grain ware
- It weighs 1.6 pounds, and the handle is made up of metal
- Allows less heat buildup enabling a long time performance.
Cutting Wheel FAQS:
Can I use a grinding wheel to cut metal?
No. it’s extremely dangerous to use the grinding wheel for cutting purposes. Every abrasive wheel is intended to be used for a different purpose. The grinding wheel is for grinding objects whereas the cutting wheel is for cutting metals. You can’t use grinding wheel in place of cutting wheel or vice versa.
Can angle grinders be used for cutting?
Angle grinders are small and handheld power tools that can be used for doing several jobs such as grinding, sanding, and polishing, and yes, cutting. By using the appropriate cutting disc you can cut as fast as you can with precision. For cutting metal, a thin kerf disc is used.
How thick of metal can an angle grinder cut?
Usually, a 4.5-inch angle grinder can cut a ¼” thick metal easily. But if you have to work on a metal that is thicker than ¼” then you will have to choose a torch or plasma arc cutter.
How do you cut sheet metal with an angle grinder?
Sheet metal can be cut by using a thin kerf cutting blade with an angle grinder.
Can an angle grinder cut hardened steel?
Hardened steel is tough to cut, but a cut-off wheel with thick kerf can effectively cut the hardened steel.
Can you use a grinder as a cut-off tool?
Yes, it can be used as a cut-off tool, but a cut-off tool is only meant for cutting. Whereas the angle grinder is a versatile tool that can do grinding, sanding, polishing, and cutting with perfection.
Metal cutting blade for angle grinder is the best option for cutting with precision and accuracy. Such blades are the thinnest blades but mind you, they are also dangerous to use as they flex and shatter more easily. So the best approach is to wear personal protective equipment like glasses, a face mask, and heavy gloves. Also, make sure that the grinder guard is properly installed and there are no bystanders when you are operating with these cutting wheels. You never know what does a bad call strike.
My name is Simon Heth and I am a father of two kids. A full-time grinding professional who can perform multiple tasks at once, whether it is cutting, carving, polishing, grinding, deburring, and finishing. Read More about me…